Thursday, July 10, 2008

DEMO: Rounded Corners II

This is a continuation of my last post. OK... There is a faster way to give rounded corners to a simple photo (even though after you get familiar with both ways you may think they take about the same amount of time to do), but I wanted you to try the PATH way... It's good to get familiar with PATH. : )

I am going to use my mom's photo for this demo. 

1: Open the photo in Photoshop. (I use Photoshop CS3)


2: Go to yoUr old friend "ROUNDED RECTANGLE TOOL".


3: Draw a rounded rectangle across the photo to your desired size. (Note: I have changed the radius on top to just 0.1 in for this demo, cause the photo is quite small.) This is what you'll see:


4: Whilte you stay on that layer, go to LAYER / RASTERIZE / SHAPE. Now your rectangle becomes a non-edible solid shape.


5: Duplicated the photo by going to the photo layer, then COMMAND+J (The magic short cut that copies and pastes your image to the exact same spot into a new layer above).


Fill your old photo layer with white.


Move your new photo layer above the rectangle layer.


6: Hold down COMMAND+OPTION+G. This will put the photo inside the rounded rectangular shape (or whatever shape you draw beneath the photo layer), like this:


Then just crop the image closer for less white space, or you can just leave it like this.


And here is the finished photo!


8 comments:

Majeak Ann said...

Beautiful mom. I bet you both look much alike!
Thanks again!

Best always,
Marjorie Ann

Eli said...

Another way would be to command select the shape in the layers palette, command shift i to inverse the selection, then bucket fill the inverted space with whatever color ,thereby creating a rounded frame, then you can just delete the shape layer... so many ways to do things in photoshop.

Nice tut, and I like the photo too!

mushroommeadows said...

WOW! Thank you soooooooooo much.

Your mom is beautiful, by the way. REALLY! :)

mike r baker said...

Your mom is HOT! Um... sorry... did I say that out loud?

Thank you for taking so much time to share your techniques! :) I gave you a blog award, if you care to collect it. xoxo
http://mikerbaker.com/knack/?p=462

Darby Bayly said...

Thanks for the great tute. I found it really helpful. It seems hard to find tutorials for simple tasks. I usually come across all sorts of crazy special effects ones that are kinda cool but not very useful for everyday.

Nina Seven N7 said...

cool demo, flora..i'll have to give it a try! thanks for your sweet note about my recent trip to the ER..I've been eating lots of bananas, since I went on this med, but it obviously wasn't enough! i hadn't heard of guava as being rich in potasium, but I'll it sounds great! i'd love to read about the 10 super foods, too!

Laura said...

Hi, I just found you through mushroommeddows'sblog, and thank you so much for sharing this skill. I have been trying to round my edges since I started blogging and I'm off now to give it go! Thanks :)

Christine Clemmensen said...

Your mother is beautiful